10 Big GM Myths, reject "hidden" GM feed, demand liability and more
CRIIGEN 2012 study: Long-term health impacts of GM and Roundup
On 19 September the independent team at the CRIIGEN lab at the University of Caen published the findings of a two-year feeding trial of rats using Monsanto’s NK603 Roundup tolerant maize and Roundup (the brand name weedkiller containing glyphosate many GM crops are designed to resist).
The research found:
- Death rates in rats fed GM maize was 70% in females and 50% in males compared to the 20% and 30% in control animals.
- Female death rates were 2-3 times higher the controls.
- Mammary tumours were the most common cause of death in females.
- Treated male rats showed increased liver and kidney problems.
The researchers suggest the observed effects are due to the hormone-disrupting effects of Roundup and the impacts on metabolism of the GM trait that makes the maize tolerant to Roundup.
Feeding trials used to assess the safety of GM crops and herbicides, such as Roundup, do not normally last longer than 90 days, and GM Freeze and others have long called for longer safety tests to be performed to determine the long-term effects of eating GMOs and the chemicals used with them.
The study has been attacked by pro-GM voices, and Monsanto's response is here, but we GM Watch has a good summary of the players here. The team has defended its work, and in international petition is inviting support from other scientists. The European Network of Scientists for Social and Environmental Responsibility (ENNSER) issued a statement on 5 October discussing Questionable Biosafety of GMOs, Double Standards and, Once Again, a "Shooting-the-Messenger" Style Debate.
Monsanto's GM Roundup Ready maize currently mainly enters the UK as animal feed from North and South America. Meat, milk and dairy products from GM-fed animals are not labelled to show where GM feed is used, and GM Freeze is pressing supermarkets to use voluntary non-GM fed labels to help shoppers avoid unwittingly adding GM to their shopping trolleys.
You can learn more about this study by:
- Watching the video released by the research team (not for the squeamish - this link takes you to YouTube)
- Reading the Huffington piece by MEP Cronnie LePage, a founder of CRIIGEN, on the study (French original here, translation offered by GM Watch here).
- Reading the letter GM Freeze sent to the UK Government demanding action. Our press release is here.
- Reading the press (these links take you away from the GM Freeze website) -
- EXCLUSIVE. Yes, GMOs are poisonous! (this is the original breaking story in translation) - Le Nouvel Observateur, 19 September (French original here)
- Monsanto Roundup weedkiller and GM maize implicated in 'shocking' new cancer study - The Grocer, 19 September
- First Peer Reviewed Lifetime Feeding Trial Finds "Safe" Levels Of GM Maize And Roundup Can Cause Tumors And Multiple Organ Damage - HeraldOnline, 19 September
- French study finds tumours in rats fed GM corn - Reuters, 19 September
- France to probe cancer link to genetically modified corn - Herald Sun, 20 September
- Russia suspends import and use of American GM corn after study revealed cancer risk - Daily Mail, 25 September
- Study linking GM maize to cancer must be taken seriously by regulators - Guardian environemnt blog, 28 September
We will keep you updated with developments - join our info list today by sending an email to email@example.com.