About GM Freeze
GM Freeze is the UK’s umbrella campaign on GM food, crops and patents.
Formed in 1999 as the Five Year Freeze, we became a not-for-profit registered company in 2005. Our members include large national charities, small specialist organisations, scientists, farmers, retailers and grassroots campaigners.
GM Freeze is run by a small staff team and a Management Committee elected each year at the Annual General Meeting.
What we do
GM Freeze is working to help create a world in which our food is produced responsibly, fairly and sustainably.
We consider and raise the profile of concerns about the impact of genetic modification. We inform, inspire, represent and support those who share our concerns. We campaign for a moratorium on GM food and farming in the UK. We oppose the patenting of genetic resources.
- Review of our year 2021/22
- Review of our year 2020/21
- Review of our year 2019/20
- Review of our year 2018/19
More on our finances and funding
Director: Liz O’Neill
Liz is an experienced environmental campaigner and communications specialist. She is the first contact for media enquiries. Liz usually works Monday to Thursday and can be reached on liz[at]gmfreeze.org
Admin Assistant: Vicky Hart
Vicky has experience in a wide range of food, farming and charity roles. She is the first point of contact for general enquiries, membership issues and leaflet orders. Vicky usually works on Monday and Thursday and can be reached on vicky[at]gmfreeze.org
Current Management Committee members are Charlotte Bickler (Organic Research Centre), Kierra Box (Friends of the Earth and GM Freeze Chair), Steven Jacobs (Independent), Lucia Monje-Jelfs (Soil Association), Helena Paul (EcoNexus) and Ricarda Steinbrecher (EcoNexus).
Men and people of colour are currently under-represented on the committee and we are also keen to have more hands-on experience of farming and food production. If you might consider putting yourself forward for co-option, please contact liz[at]gmfreeze.org
The policies linked below help ensure that everything we do supports our core values.
GMF Information Assurance Policy
- We don’t have an office – our staff work from home – but you can write to us at the address at the bottom of the page. You can also call us on 0845 217 8992 (see below) or email info[at]gmfreeze.org
- For the press office, please see our News pages
- Anyone with a safeguarding concern or who wishes to raise a complaint regarding their treatment by GM Freeze staff, workers, Management Committee members or volunteers should in the first instance email the Director, Liz O’Neill on liz[at]gmfreeze.org
- Our registered office address is GM Freeze c/o Slade & Cooper Ltd, Beehive Mill, Jersey Street, Ancoats, Manchester, M4 6JG. Slade & Cooper are our accountants and this address is only used for formal legal matters – please send donations or any general correspondence to the contact address at the bottom of the page.